Russian Federaion, Republic of Buryatia, Istomino village
Collaborator in the project until spring 2022
STATION NAME AND OWNER
International ecological – educational center (IEEC) “Istomino” is owned and run by Baikal Institute of Nature Management of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Republic of Buryatia, Ulan-Ude, Russia.
MOES “Istomino” is located in the south-western part of the delta of the Selenga River in the village Istomino. The nearest cities are Kabansk (30 km) and Ulan-Ude (150 km).
BIODIVERSITYBiological diversity. The many and varied forms of life on Earth (collectively known as biota). As well as diversity of species (species diversity), there is also diversity within populations of a... More AND NATURAL ENVIRONMENT
Scientific value is determined by the close proximity of the station to Lake Baikal, as well as proximity to the unique freshwater delta, included in the list of the Ramsar Convention of wetland ecosystems. Selenga River delta is the habitat of the Baikal fish faunaThe animals that live in a particular region, habitat or time (such as geological period like the jurassic). For plants, we use the term flora, and to collectively refer to all... More (sturgeon, cisco, whitefish, grayling, and carp) and migratory birds of North Eurasia. The uniqueness of the natural environment is complemented by the presence of areas of permafrostPermafrost is frozen ground that remains at or below zero degrees Celsius (32 degrees Fahrenheit) for two or more years. It forms in regions where the mean annual temperature is... More, gas hydrates, and the outputs of combustible gases, oil and thermal waters.
HISTORY AND FACILITIES
IEEC “Istomino” was founded in 2001 in village Istomino on the shore of Lake Baikal in the Selenga River delta and officially opened on 30 April 2001 for the activities of Russian and foreign scientific and governmental organizations.
- Comfortable two-store brick building of 615 square meters (7 double rooms and 2 eight beds-rooms);
• conference hall for 50 people equipped with modern communication facilities, office equipment and library;
• satellite TV;
• dining room for 60 people;
• hydro-chemical laboratory, mobile laboratories;
• outdoor kitchen for 40 people;
• sauna, outside shower;
• a warm garage for 6 cars;
• storage facilities for equipment;
• automatic meteorological station;
• mobile power stations.
• motor pool of 3 cars;
• 3 motor boats;
• ultralight trike;
GENERAL RESEARCH AND DATABASES
IEEC “Istomino” combines the efforts of Russian and foreign scientists directed on research of unique ecological system of Lake Baikal and its watershed, and also carries out ecological education and education of the population of the Baikal region.
• scientific and material support of basic researches of the ecosystemAll the living organisms (including people) in an area as well as its physical environment, functioning together as a unit. An ecosystem is made up of plants, animals, microorganisms, soil,... More of Lake Baikal and the Selenga River delta as an indicator of anthropogenicCaused by, or due to, human activities. For example, anthropogenic climate change.Caused by, or due to, human activities. For example, anthropogenic climate change.... More impacts and natural changes in biodiversityBiological diversity. The many and varied forms of life on Earth (collectively known as biota). As well as diversity of species (species diversity), there is also diversity within populations of a... More in the Baikal Lake basin;
• carrying out scientific expeditions;
• organization of scientific and practical meetings and events in the field of sustainable developmentSustainable development has been defined in many ways, but the most frequently quoted definition is from a report called Our Common Future, also known as the Brundtland Report: "Sustainable development is... More of the Baikal region;
• conducting specialized practices of students of natural faculties and summer schools for gifted children on ecologyThe study of living organisms in their environment, including where they are found and how they interact with their physical environment and with each other, for example through food webs.... More, economics, chemistryThe study of matter at the atomic and molecular scale.... More, physics and mathematics;
• development of ecological tourism.
The station is located close to several small villages, where the population is engaged in fishing. Ethnic origin of the general population is Russian and Buryats.
International ecological – educational center “Istomino” is accessible from Ulan-Ude (150 km) and Irkutsk (350 km) by vehicle. International airports are located in Ulan-Ude and Irkutsk.